Fast Fact:

Some pacemakers can be affected by the electromagnetic fields given off by electric arc welders.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We’ll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Boilermakers Local 555
Email Us>
IBEW Local 529, Saskatoon:
Email Us>

IBEW Local 2038, Regina:
Email Us>
Ironworkers Local 771
Phone: 306-522-7932
Email Us>

Plumber/Pipefitter Local 179
Email Us>

Be a flame thrower

Welders are artistic and thoughtful, working alone in concentration (even when they are side by side). Welding requires a precise hand, strong arms, an understanding of numbers, a willingness to problem solve and the ability to think in 3-D.

If this sounds like you, and you want to add a little spark to your life, consider welding!

Frequently asked questions:

Which trade should I contact?
Welding is associated with the following trades: Boilermakers, Electricians, Ironworkers and Plumber/Pipefitters. Any of these building trades can assist you with obtaining apprenticeship training.

How long is the training for this trade?
Training for this trade requires a total of 1800 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year for 3 years. Technical training is 15% of the 1800 hours; on-the-job training makes up the other 85%. There are 3 levels of technical training.

Level 1: 7 weeks
Level 2: 7 weeks
Level 3: 8 weeks

After you have met all of the requirements for journeyperson certification, you will receive a Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate and a Journeyperson Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I study for this trade?
Theoretical training for this trade is offered through all 3 SIAST Campuses: Kelsey, Palliser, Wascana and Woodland.

Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?
Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade.

What if I don’t have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?
Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed.
Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Yes. Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer and the supervision of a certified journeyperson. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career.  

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.