Fast Fact:

The Seagaia Ocean Dome – the world's largest indoor waterpark, located in Miyazaki, Japan – also boasts the world’s largest retractable roof.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We’ll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Labourer Local 180
Email Us>

Sheet Metal Local 296, Regina:
Email Us>

Climb like a cat?

Shelter is one of the basic necessities of life. Be the one to preserve and protect homes and workplaces, hospitals, stores, schools.

As a roofer, you will work with asphalt, metal and slate. You may also learn to apply sealant to basements and concrete. If you like to measure, climb, and work outdoors, if you are a team player, roofing might be your trade.

Frequently asked questions:

How long is the training for this trade?
Training for this trade requires a total of 1500 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year for 3 years. Technical training is 15% of the 1500 hours; on-the-job training makes up the other 85%.

There are 3 levels of technical training. There are 3 levels of technical training to be completed at the worksite. You will study at home. A program instructor will test you monthly at your worksite on technical and practical components you have learned.

After you have met all of the requirements for journeyperson certification, you will receive a Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate and a Journeyperson Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I study for this trade?

Theoretical training for this trade is offered by distance learning through SIAST Woodland Campus in Prince Albert and at the worksite.
Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?
Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade.

What if I don’t have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?
Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed.
Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Yes. Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer and the supervision of a certified journeyperson. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career.  

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.