Fast Fact:

A Boilermaker can also be called a pressure vessel fabricator.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We'll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Contact us today at:
Boilermakers Local 555
Email Us>

Like heavy metal?

Are the compass and protractor always out of your geometry set? Do you dream of seeing your paper plans made large? Boilermakers draw and read technical blueprints for metal projects in a wide range of industries, including shipbuilding. They mark sheet metal for cutting and rolling.

Boilermakers are mathematically adept. They are creative and good problem-solvers. They are physically fit, skilled welders, and enjoy working with tools. Boilermakers are willing to work indoors (sometimes in close quarters) and outdoors. If this sounds like you, consider this trade.

Frequently asked questions:

How long is the training for this trade?
Training for this trade requires a total of 1800 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year. Training and apprenticeship for this trade requires three years. Technical training is 15% of the 1800 hours, on-the-job training makes up the other 85%. There are FOUR levels of technical training. You should schedule Level 1 to be finished before you begin working in this trade.

Level 1: 6 weeks
Level 2: 6 weeks
Level 3: 6 weeks
Level 4: 6 weeks

After you have met all of the requirements for journeyperson certification, you will receive a Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate and a Journeyperson Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I study for this trade?
Boilermaker Training is offered through Red River College in Winnipeg, MB.

Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?
Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade.

What if I don't have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?
Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed. Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career.

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.