Sprinkler Systems Installer

Sprinkler Systems Installer
Fast Fact:

In 1931 in Germany, some fire fighters were equipped with sprinklers on their helmets. Water showered over the fire fighters, allowing them to get closer to the flames. The fire fighters adjusted the water with a hand lever.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We’ll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Contacts:
Plumber/Pipefitter Local 179
306-569-0624
Email Us>

Save lives

As a Sprinkler System Installer, you will design and build wet and dry safety systems for industrial, school, residential, corporate and healthcare applications. You will be building, testing and maintaining intricate systems you hope will never be used.

The work you do will save a life or someone’s livelihood over the course of your career.

If you can read and create plans, have an interest in plumbing, and are an excellent communicator, consider this career.

Frequently asked questions:


How long is the training for this trade?
Training for this trade requires a total of 1800 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year for four years. Technical training is 15% of the 1800 hours; on-the-job training makes up the other 85%. There are 3 levels of technical training:

Level 1: 7 weeks
Level 2: 7 weeks
Level 3: 7 weeks

After you have met all of the requirements for journeyperson certification, you will receive a Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate and a Journeyperson Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I study for this trade?
Theoretical training for this trade is offered through Red Deer College, Red Deer, Alberta.

Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?
Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade.

What if I don’t have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?

Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed.
Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Yes. Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer and the supervision of a certified journeyperson. NOTE: You MUST be registered as an apprentice to work in this trade. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career.  

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.