Insulator

Insulator
Fast Fact:

In 2008, Otis Ray McIntire, inventor of STYROFOAM® Brand Extruded Polystyrene Insulation was inducted into the United States National Inventors Hall of Fame.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We’ll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Contact:
Insulator Local 119
306-545-5025
Email Us>

Fire and Ice

The work of an Industrial Insulator is never done. Old insulation must be removed and replaced with new in constant rotation. Hot and cold, the insulator preserves and protects with each day on the job. A freshly insulated pipe gleams from the heights of a warehouse ceiling, and a cold concrete basement becomes a warm home with the help of an insulator.

Insulators are required to work in high places, often in confined areas.  If you are able to read plans, solve the puzzle of a tricky corner or valve that needs insulating, and enjoy working in a team, this may be the career for you.

Frequently asked questions:

How long is the training for this trade?
Training for this trade requires a total of 1600 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year for four years. Technical training is 15% of the 1600 hours; on-the-job training makes up the other 85%. There are 3 levels of technical training:

Level 1: 6 weeks
Level 2: 6 weeks
Level 3: 8 weeks

After you have met all of the requirements for journeyperson certification, you will receive a Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate and a Journeyperson Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I study for this trade?
In Saskatchewan, theoretical training for this trade is offered through the Insulators Union. Classes are offered through NAIT in Edmonton.

Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?
Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade.

What if I don’t have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?
Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed.
Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Yes. Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer and the supervision of a certified journeyperson. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career.  

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.