Industrial Mechanic

Industrial Mechanic
Fast Fact:

The title Millwright originated because the first large, stationary machine was the mill. Millwrights were solely responsible for building and maintaining these complex machines. Today, metal and engineering have changed the field into a precision craft, but the traditional title remains.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We’ll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Contact:
Millwright Local 1021
306-382-4355 ext. 3
Email Us>

Have tools, will travel.

Machines are everywhere, and people need them. They move groceries, they move people, they move ore, parts, meat, sewage. But sometimes they stop moving. That’s where you come in. As an Industrial Mechanic, you may be asked to repair a drill in the depths of a mine, maintain a lift at a remote mountaintop ski resort, or install an escalator in a city store.

Industrial Mechanics/Millwrights are excellent fixers who like to work with their hands. If you can read blueprints, use a variety of tools, communicate well with others, and have a logical mind, this career could take you places.

Frequently asked questions:

How long is the training for this trade?

Training for this trade requires a total of 1800 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year for four years. Technical training is 15% of the 1800 hours; on-the-job training makes up the other 85%. There are FOUR levels of technical training.

Level 1: 8 weeks
Level 2: 8 weeks
Level 3: 8 weeks
Level 4: 8 weeks

After you have met all of the requirements for journeyperson certification, you will receive a Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate and a Journeyperson Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I study for this trade?

Theoretical training for this trade is offered through the SIAST Kelsey Campus in Saskatoon.

Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?
Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade.

What if I don’t have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?
Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed.
Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Yes. Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer and the supervision of a certified journeyperson. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career.  

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.