Crane-Hoist Operator

Crane-Hoist Operator
Fast Fact:

The CN Tower in Toronto, Ontario has been the world's tallest building since 1976.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We'll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Contact:
Operating Engineers Local 870
306-665-7718
Email Us>

Take a bird’s eye view

Towering above the job sites, cranes lift and move the heaviest pieces of a project, but deliver with finesse. Travelling to projects is often required. The best Crane and Hoist Operators have good concentration and a passion for safety, and of course – don’t fear heights.

If this sounds like you, consider this trade.

Frequently asked questions:


How long is the training for this trade?
Training for this trade requires a total of 1500 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year for 3 years. Technical training is 15% of the 1500 hours; on-the-job training makes up the other 85%. There are 3 levels of technical training.

Level 1: 8 weeks
Level 2: 8 weeks
Level 3: 2 weeks

You can choose to specialize in one of five sub-trade categories. An exam is written in the sub-trade, and after you successfully complete the exam, you receive a certificate of proficiency in your chosen sub-trade.

After you have met all of the requirements for journeyperson certification, you will receive a Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate and a Journeyperson Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I study for this trade?
Theoretical training for this trade is offered through Western Trade Training Institute.

Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?
Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade. It is called “Mobile Crane Operator”.

What if I don’t have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?

Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed.
Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Yes. Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer and the supervision of a certified journeyperson. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career.  

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.