Construction Craft Labourer

Construction Craft Labourer
Fast Fact:

Construction Craft Labourers work in all sectors of construction.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We'll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Contact:
Labourers Local 180
206-525-2336
Email Us>

Variety is the spice of life

If you like to be a part of every piece of a project or if you aren’t quite sure which construction trade you want to pursue, consider being a Construction Craft Labourer (CCL).

As a CCL, you will be involved from levelling the ground and unloading materials at the start of a project to final clean up at the end. You will be responsible for directing civilian traffic around a project and performing assistance to a variety of onsite professionals. Your duties might include concrete tamping, aligning pipes, spreading asphalt, and blasting rock.

Whatever the construction project, Construction Craft Labourers are there.

If you like to work outdoors, get along well with people, have a good memory and like to be physically active, consider this trade.

Frequently asked questions:

How long is the training for this trade?
2 years. Training for this trade requires a total of 1200 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year for 2 years. Technical training is 15% of the 1200 hours; on-the-job training makes up the other 85%. There are 2 levels of technical training.

Level 1: 4 weeks
Level 2: 4 weeks

After you have met all of the requirements for journeyperson certification, you will receive a Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate and a Journeyperson Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I study for this trade?
Theoretical training for this trade is offered through the SIAST campus in Moose Jaw.

Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?

Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade.

What if I don’t have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?
Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed.
Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Yes. Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer and the supervision of a certified journeyperson. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career. 

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.