Bricklayer/Tilesetter

Bricklayer/Tilesetter
Fast Fact:

Bricklayers are also called stonemasons, brick masons, and stonecutters.

How Do I Start?

Contact the local building trade office for assistance. We'll be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. We can also help you contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to register you as an apprentice.

Contacts:
Bricklayers Local 1
306-359-6356
Email Us >

A job that lasts and lasts

Build something lasting every day on the job. Bricklayers and Tilesetters work with the earth's oldest materials - stone, bricks, concrete - to create a legacy with each working day. Bricklayers build walls, paths, and structures for splendour. They build foundations, pilings, and bridges for sheer strength and endurance. Tilesetters construct, alter and repair structures with tile, granite, slate, marble, terrazzo and other similar materials.

They are mathematically adept to read blueprints and measure. They are creative and good problem-solvers. They are physically fit, and enjoy travelling, working indoors (sometimes in close quarters) and outdoors.

If this sounds like you, consider bricklaying or tilesetting.

Frequently asked questions:

How long is the training for this trade?
Training for the Bricklaying trade requires a total of 1500 hours of technical training and on-the-job experience each year for four years. Technical training is 15% of the 1500 hours, on-the-job training makes up the other 85%.

There are three levels of training, and the 1500 hours must be successfully completed before graduating to the next level.

Level 1 = 8 weeks
Level 2 = 8 weeks
Level 3 = 8 weeks

Tilesetting is a three-year program.

Where can I study for this trade?
In Saskatchewan, Bricklayer Traiing is offered through the SIAST Kelsey Campus (Saskatoon).

For information about Tilesetting training, please contact us.

Is this trade Red Seal certifiable?
Yes, inter-provincial Red Seal Certification is available for this trade.

What if I don't have my grade 12? Can I still look into this trade?
Yes. The academic requirements for entry into this trade are not related to high school grade level. If you do NOT have grade 12, contact Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trades Commission to have your academic qualifications assessed.
Click here for the Sask Apprenticeship website. Or email Sask Apprenticeship.

I am a new high school graduate. Does this help me?
Employers do usually prefer workers who have grade 12, and a grade 12 diploma guarantees you have met the academic requirements for entry into this trade.

Why should I apprentice with an organized/unionized tradesperson?
Entry to this trade program requires the partnership of an employer. Working with a unionized tradesperson means you will do your required on-the-job training with a skilled, professional employer who will mentor you through your apprenticeship, ensuring you have the highest quality work experience in the safest of working environments.

An added bonus is that being involved with an organized/unionized tradesperson from the start helps you to network as you build your new career. 

You can do it on your own, but why would you? Nothing worthwhile is ever constructed alone.